What is Limited?
In limited, players open a certain amount of booster packs and construct their deck on the spot. Currently, OCTGN only support the Sealed Deck Format where each player creates a limited deck from 8 booster packs. Each deck should contain at least thirty cards and exactly five problems which one has to be a Starting Problem. Players are allowed to use any Mane and Starting Problems if needed. For more information about the Limited Play, you can refer to offical Limited Play rules by Enterplay here!
How to play Limited in OCTGN?
To begin, create a two player room and start the game. Click on the “Game” tab and in the drop-down menu, click on “Limited Game” (or you could use a keyboard shortcut, Crtl+Shift+L).
After that, you should see a pop-up box which you can select a set to get a booster pack or the set’s Mane Characters and Starting Problems. You can then use the Add button to add any amount of packs. If you want all the Manes and Starting Problems, add the pack in the Tokens set. All of these Manes and Starting Problems can be found at the “Unlimited” tab which will be explained further on.
Once you are done adding all of your booster packs, the game will show you the cards you got as shown below:
For the red box (Settings):
- Load Cards – Confirms your deck and sends you back to the game table
- Cancel – Cancels the limited game and sends you back to the game table
- Save Deck – Save your deck in .o8d format
- Load Cardpool – Adds all cards in an .o8d deck into your cardpool
- Load Pack(s) – Allows you to add more packs for youself or all of the players present
For the orange box (Cardpool):
- Card pool tab – Displays all of the cards you got from your packs
- Unlimited tab – Shows the Mane Character and Starting Problem packs here if you have added them, you can take any amount of cards if needed
- Sort – Allows you to sort cards by rarity, element colour etc
- Move all remaining cards to – Move all cards in the cardpool to the selected tab on the right side
For the purple box (Your deck):
- Mane Character tab – Ensure you have one Mane Character card here
- Problems tab – Ensure you have all your Problem cards here with at least one Starting Problem card
- Friends, Events, Resource, Troublemaker tabs – You can put your remaining cards into one of these tabs or follow along
Now that you know the layout of the interface, here are the instructions/tips to build your deck:
- Double click on the cards on the left side to add it to your deck on the right side. Do the same thing to transfer cards from your deck back to the cardpool.
- If you need a Mane or a Starting Problem, use “Load Pack(s)” to add in Manes and Starting Problem from a specific set or use the Token set to get all the Manes and Starting Problems. These will be shown in the “Unlimited” tab.
- Try NOT to load Manes and Starting Problems from specific sets and then use the Token set. This will duplicate the Manes and Starting Problems in the “Unlimited” tab.
- The “Sort” function is quite useful to sort out the Rarity, Type and Element (aka colours) of your cards.
- When you are done making your deck, click “Load Cards” to go back to the game table and you can start the game normally using F12.
*Do remember to support the creators of this great game and your local stores. Although this tool is mainly used for playtesting and deckbuilding, this will give a chance for those who has little or no local playgroup for this game to try different formats of the game.