Oct 12

Changing of the Royal Guard

Back in 2013 and shortly after the release of Premiere, I set out to do a plug-in for the MLP CCG. Primarily because I found the game interesting and I wanted to make sure people buying the game had the opportunity and tools to playtest and enjoy playing it. The fandom that makes up the core audience for this game is and always has been in large part an internet community, and one that is quite diverse geographically. Some players live in places with numerous others to playtest with, while some live in places without much in the way of a “herd” nearby.

It’s a couple years later with an explosion of new sets and cards flowing out there and the tournament scene ratcheting ever upwards, I find that I don’t have the time to keep managing things like I once did. The last couple patches have mostly been the work of a group of players who have the time and capability to keep this game up-to-date and provide timely patches. I think they’ve done an excellent job, and have asked them to take it from here.

I hope that whatever contribution I’ve made is one that has brought some measure of fun and happiness to people, and has brought friends the ability to play and better enjoy a great game together. I wish everybody the best of luck.

 

PS: There have been some questions regarding the Ponyhead-to-OCTGN converter and newer sets. This was a side-project I’d built that took advantage of the way the set files were being generated for the plug-in itself – a process that still required a good bit of manual effort initially to get new sets loaded. The new guys have built their own process for better automating the creation of new set files, which sadly means the converter that exists today will no longer receive updates. Perhaps somebody can pick up where this leaves off.