Not as annoying as my MOTDs
I don’t know if you’ve noticed lately that there’s far less annoying pop-ups appearing when you start the game or while you play. This is because I have now coded the game to only display such pop-ups only once, in the case you haven’t seen them before, not just in the current session, but in general.
For most of you, this means that you no longer have to press “OK” when you start your setup, unless there’s a new Message of the Day waiting for your attention. So don’t immediately dismiss the MOTD window when it appears now, read it because it will only appear once 😉
Another thing that was added is confirmation of league or tournament games based on the known running events. This works by checking if one of known league or tournament tags (e.g. “[BGG-L01]”) exist in your game name. If it finds it, then it will announce that this is going to be recorded as a league game. If you don’t see such a notification after setup, it means the game hasn’t recognised your match for a league. No worries, you can manually set this through the Game > (Un)Set as League match menu option. Simply select the League your match will belong and it will recorded accordingly in the stats.
In the same vein, if you hosted a league match but your opponent is not participating or you changed your mind, you can simply use the same option to set the game as a casual match, and it will be excluded from the aggregated league results.
A little AI makes sure to shuffle your HQ to maximize the chance an agenda will be picked. Unless your OCTGN alias is ‘db0’ of course.
Finally, one new change you’ll notice is that, as corp, your hand will now be shuffled just before each HQ access. This serves no functional difference but to serve as a sort of “placebo” for those who see patterns where none exist. Specifically I’m referring to the somewhat common impression many have that cards on the rightmost position of your hand tend to be picked more during HQ accesses.
If you’re under this impression yourself, I just ran a simulation of 500 random hand pulls and noted how many times each position was picked:
- First run: [92, 106, 107, 111, 84]
- Second Run: [126, 89, 90, 92, 103]
- With 8 cards in hand: [59, 65, 63, 56, 64, 64, 68, 61]
OK, maybe it’s only a problem in actual multiplayer. Let’s try it in online
- Corp: [102, 110, 85, 107, 96]
- Runner: [98, 97, 100, 103, 102]
As you can see, the results are quite random over a significant range.
So why did I add the HQ randomizing? Well people keep seeing this pattern and as long as it happens, people are just going to keep bringing it up, so I felt like a harmless extra randomization should nip this in the bud, and look more authentic 🙂
There’s also a more subtle change about HQ accesses. Due to the way OCTGN works, there’s a small delay when a new card appears on the table, as your client fetches the card details from the server. This can sometimes take seconds. So what happened is that when the runner accessed a new card from HQ, it would have a slow but noticeable delay while it was fetching the card properties, whereas if the runner was grabbing a card they had seen before in HQ or R&D, they knew it was the same card.
Knowing how many of these nasties the Corp is holding is really important.
This allowed a smart runner to tell if the corp was holding two copies of the same card, or if they were unlucky enough to be seeing the same card all the time. May not seem like much but in Netrunner information like this can be very, very valuable. It makes a difference for example if one can tell if the corp is holding 1 or 2 Scorched Earths, to give just the most obvious example.
I tried to combat in this in the past, but it seems it was still quite obvious, so what I’ve done now is introduce a very hard pause effect before every access (your OCTGN will appear literally frozen) for 1 second. Because these delays are concurrent, it seems that in my tests, this is enough to mask whether an accessed card is new or seen-before.
Of course if you notice you can still see a difference, let me know and I’ll try to tweak the delay to hide it better.