Thank you for the support you’ve shown for the OCTGN Game Directory all these years. This blog started out as a free message board a long time ago, and had eventually evolved into this network of wordpress pages. The Game Directory was created as a way to consolidate all the games available on OCTGN into one easy to access location, for players to see what’s available to play, as well as a platform for OCTGN game developers to share their work and provide supporting documentation.
Since then, OCTGN has grown and evolved as more and more people discovered it. One of the most beneficial features for the community was the addition of the Game Feed system, where users can view a list of games from within OCTGN, and subscribe to automatic updates of game files. We were quick to adopt this system, and began hosting all of our games there. The OCTGN Game Directory’s primary focus shifted from a network of blogs, to a hosted Nuget feed. Eventually, we were added as a default feed in OCTGN, so now everybody had easy access to its games.
With easy access to all available games on the feed, it became apparent that this website was becoming obsolete. We kept it going for two main reasons: For game developers to organize relevant documentation and download links for their game’s image packs, and for players to see announcements and details on game package updates. However, many newer game developers chose to host their own external game pages, making the list of games on this site different from that on the feed. Some games also stopped updating, and were no longer compatible with OCTGN’s current versions.
The final kicker was the realization that the current traffic and utility of the site could not justify its hosting fees, as well as the routine maintenance and upkeep required to keep it going. So the decision was made to close down the site. Simply put, it just isn’t a necessary service anymore.
The shutdown will occur in stages.
– First, we will remove this landing page. Individual game pages will stay open and be accessible for now. We need to give enough time for game developers to update their games to point URLs to their new hosting locations.
– On June 1st, 2020, we will remove all pages from the site. Existing links to game pages will no longer work.
What this means for the OCTGN user:
Not very much. You will still be able to find information on your installed games, you just need to follow the link found in OCTGN’s game manager.
What this means for game developers hosting pages on the site:
1) You must find a new hosting location for your game’s webpage. WordPress offers free hosting, but you can use your own hosting if you wish.
2) You can export a copy of your game’s current page by going into the dashboard, then Tools, then Export. You should then be able to import it into any WordPress account.
3) You must update your game’s GameUrl and SetsUrl attributes in the game definition, and make sure they are pointing to the new location. You will need to push out an update to the game.
OCTGN is not shutting down. Our game feed is not shutting down. All of the games will continue to be available in OCTGN’s game feed. This is the just the logical next phase of the OCTGN game directory.
Thank you all for your continued support over all these years. If you have any questions, please join the OCTGN Discord server at http://discord.gg/Yn3Jrpj and let us know in the #general channel.
OCTGN Game Directory